Starting a Business
Virginia business entity checklist:
• Choose the proper business entity for your situation.
• Register with State Corporation Commission.
• Obtain Federal Employment Identification Number.
• Determine liability for Virginia Unemployment Tax
• Register with Virginia Department of Taxation
• Satisfy local licensing requirements
• Contact appropriate State agencies with oversight of industry
For more information on registering with the Virginia State Corporation Commission, see the Business Registration Guide available at http://www.scc.virginia.gov/clk/files/brg.pdf.
- Election by a Small Business Corporation (Form 2553)
- Statement of Partnership Authority (Form UPA-93)
- Certificate of Limited Partnership (Form LPA-73.11)
- Application For Registration of Foreign Limited Partnership (Form LPA-73.54)
- Articles of Incorporation (Form SCC 619)
- Articles of Incorporation (Form SCC 819)
- Articles of Incorporation (Form SCC 544)
- Certificate of Authority to Transact Business in Virginia (Form SCC 759/921)
- Articles of Organization (Form LLC-1011)
- Articles of Organization for a Professional Limited Liability
- Company (Form LLC-1103)
- Application for Registration as a Foreign Limited Liability Company (Form LLC-1052)
- Articles of Trust (Form BTA-1212)
Federal Employer Identification Number
- Online form: https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp
- Paper form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf
Virginia Department of Taxation Forms
Virginia Employment Commission Account Number
Virginia Tax Business Registration